Prev Family Histories: Shier; Skayman; Smith Next


History Book


The following information is from page 126 to 134 of Crandall History Book, 2000.

Family Histories:
Shier; Skayman; Smith

(Click on Photo for Larger View)

Shier, Gerald and Nora and family
In the past twenty-eight years quite a number of changes have taken place in the Shier family.
Shier Family Nora and I disposed of the dairy cattle and hogs in 1974 and had a herd of beef cattle until 1982. From then until 1992 we grain farmed. That year we sold section SW 7-14-25 and rented the home three-quarters to Alan Walker from Miniota, which Alan still rents. In April 1993, we had a farm machinery auction sale and sold all of our machinery etc. In 1994, a new home became a reality in the yard on SE 9-14- 25. We didn't want to move off the farm and are enjoying our comfortable home. Nora has the dining room she always wanted.
As for our family: Vince, born in 1955, married Mary Broekhoven of Kingston, Ontario in 1983. They have three children, Veronica born in 1985, Whitney born in 1989 and Gordon born in 1994. Their history is found elsewhere.
Gordon, born in 1958, went to work at Tidy Welding in Nisku, Alberta after graduating from high school in 1976. He passed away in 1978 and is buried in the Crandall cemetery.
Elayna, born in 1961, graduated from the Hamiota Collegiate in 1979. She moved to Winnipeg, Manitoba and received a diploma in Business Administration from Success Business College. She worked for 11 years at A&M Hurtig Furriers Ltd. and has been employed the past 9 years at Mondo Foods as Office Manager. She enjoys living in Winnipeg.
Gerald's sister Beverly and Philip Barteaux still live at Birtle, only in town as of this fall.
Barry, Gerald's brother passed away in 1978 at Pigeon Lake, Alberta. Also Gerald's aunt, Ermina Shier passed away in 1990 and both are buried in the Crandall cemetery.
As for Gerald and Nora - we don't do too much manual work, but it keeps us busy with hobbies and social dancing. Nora helps as needed in the UCW, Church, Community centre, etc. She was also a faithful member of the Crandall WI until it disbanded.
Gerald was a trustee on the Birdtail River School board from 1973-1979 and now is in his 20th year as a councilor for Ward 3, Rural Municipality of Miniota. He has been on most committees pertaining to the Rural Municipality. That has taken a lot of time, but has certainly been a rewarding experience because of all the good people from all over the province that he meets. Also Nora enjoys the social end of being a trustee and councilors wife.
We were both on the Reunion Committee for the Crandall reunion June 30, July 1&2, 2000. There was a lot to do when the snow melted this spring.
We do a bit of camping, fishing etc. with our 5th wheel trailer and boat in the summer. Also we do a bit of travelling. East and West. We try to go to Penticton, British Columbia each year in the middle of February, for a month or so. We dance about six times a week while there and there is lots of socializing and visiting with friends we have made out there.
As you can see, we've had a good 48 years together at Crandall where I was born in 1930. We've had our good times and bad, but still have no definite plans of living anywhere else.

Shier, Ted and Cora
Since the last Crandall history book was published, there have been many changes.
As we were retired, we had at least the winter months to travel. We spent four winters in British Columbia.
In May of 1972, a highlight in our lives was when we went to Vancouver to see the boxing match between Mohammed Ali and George Foreman. After fifteen rounds, Mohammed came out the winner with a TKO. We got our money's worth.
In February 1975, we made a twenty-one day bus tour to California with Norm and Vera Olfrey, our personal escorts. We endured some early mornings and late evenings. Places of interest were the Mormon Tabernacle in Salt Lake City, Utah, Las Vegas, Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, and a boat cruise, the Hollywood Bowl and Balboa Park. We walked across the Mexican border where we were picked up by a Mexican bus and driven down to main street in Tijuana where we shopped for a couple of hours. In Arizona, we stayed in Flagstaff, drove eighty miles to view the Grand Canyon, toured the Petrified Forest, then on to Santa Fe, New Mexico. From there we went through Denver, Nebraska, South Dakota, Bismarck and back home.
In September 1976, we took a second tour through the Maritimes. We went through Kenora and Dryden with their pulp mills, Thunder Bay and its large grain terminals with ships from almost every country being loaded. We visited Pembroke, Ontario with its five-mile long main street, Ottawa where we toured the Parliament Buildings and climbed to the top of the clock, with its 53 bells. We saw ancient Quebec City, with its fortresses, citadels and monuments, the site of the battle of the Plains of Abraham. Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island where we visited the first Parliament Buildings in Canada. We saw the home of Lucy Maude Montgomery who wrote "Anne of Green Gables." In Hartland New Brunswick we drove across the 1282-foot covered bridge. Through Truro and Springhill, Nova Scotia to Toronto and the Maple Leaf Gardens where so many famous hockey players have played. From there we crossed into the United States and made our way home.
In January of 1979, we took another bus trip this time to Florida. Some of the highlights of this trip were Mark Twain's home, Elvis Presleys' family home in Tupelo, Memphis Tennessee. Jimmy Carter peanut and pecan country. The Kennedy Space Centre (140,00 acres of swampland, with the longest runway in the world, 15,000 feet). We travelled through Kentucky, Indiana, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Minnesota and finally home again.
In 1980 we left Regina on a trip to Alaska. We visited Dawson City, had a three-hour tour through the gold fields on Bonanza Creek, saw the productions "The Shooting of Dan McGraw" and "The Cremation of Sam McGee", visited Pierre Berton's house, saw Fairbanks, and travelled to the top of the mountain highway climbing around curves for twenty-seven miles to the top. Took a tour aboard a stern wheeler, a train ride to Skagway then a cruise to Prince Rupert, British Columbia, from there we travelled by bus through places like Prince George, Jasper, Hinton and Calgary. This trip was a total of 6,039 miles.
We met a lot of people and made friends with all of them. The bus tours were a great experience. We covered a lot of country we wouldn't have seen otherwise. We were always eager for the experience, but I will also say, we were tired and happy to be home each time, as each tour was an endurance test.
Alaska was our last bus tour, as Ted died in the Health Science Centre, August 11, 1982. He is buried in the Crandall cemetery.
I carried on in Crandall with help from my neighours and family members. I was president of the Hamiota Hospital Auxiliary at the time, until November 1983. Then I went to Winnipeg for the winter months and returned home in April. I drove to Vancouver for our Norrie family reunion in August.
I sold out in October 1984, and went to live in Winnipeg. I enjoyed the social life, met new friends with whom I still keep in touch. When I had a chance to move back close to home, I had a decision to make. In September of 1991, I moved into Park Residence in Hamiota. I am a member of the Legion Ladies Auxiliary #174 in Hamiota. I volunteer at Birch Lodge, and I will continue as long as I can. I have enjoyed the floor shuffle with seniors from November through March in the Community Hall. I'm living in a one-bedroom suite, I've visited friends in senior suites in both Brandon and Winnipeg and surrounding districts, and none of them were either better or bigger. I am happy and content here and can only hope to remain here for a few more years. Right now I have everything I need or want.

Shier, Vince
Growing up on the Shier farm 3.5 miles north of Crandall was a great preparation for me, when I left home in the spring of 1973. Moving directly to Edmonton, Alberta I began a career as a power line apprentice, working for McGregor Telephone and Power, under the tutelage of my Uncle Barry Shier. After a very satisfying 6 years with McGregor's and completion of my lineman apprenticeship, I moved on to the city of Red Deer, Alberta, Light and Power. After a short stint in Red Deer, I was struck by the ski bug and moved to the mountains of Banff in the winter of 1980. Working and skiing in Banff and elsewhere was a great experience, with the greatest thing being, meeting, courting and marrying a beautiful girl from Kingston, Ontario, Mary Broekhoven. After marrying in Kingston in the summer of 1983 Mary and I moved to Fernie, British Columbia, after discovering the great skiing and wonderful lifestyle there. For our first 4 years in Fernie, we ran a ski instruction business, called Snake Ridge Touring, catering to Telemark and Nordic skiers while I built power lines in southern Alberta in the summers. After the birth of our first child Veronica Rae in 1985 I evaluated my priorities, and began an apprenticeship in Fernie as an electrician. In 1989 we were blessed with another daughter, Whitney Jenine, and by 1990 I was a qualified electrician. We spent those busy years raising our girls, skiing, hiking and enjoying our beautiful valley. During this time Mary began working part-time at the College of the Rockies in charge of the Adult Literacy Program, which she continues to this day.
In 1992 I started my own electrical contracting business, Mountain View Electric, which has been quite successful, enabling us to own a home 10 miles south of Fernie on Elk River. In 1994, we were blessed with a son, Gordon Samuel, so now our family of 5 leads a very busy life in the valley. My roots in the Crandall United Church where I spent every Sunday as a boy have led me to be involved in a wonderful Baptist Church here in Fernie, where I have served as a deacon, and continue to serve. We are blessed to have a great church family here, which sustains us so far from our homes, but we try to spend as much time with Mary's family in Kingston, and Nora and Gerald in Crandall. Future plans: who knows, but we will continue to serve our church and treasure our families into the next century.

Skayman, Murray and Jeannine
Murray, born in 1957, eldest son of Russ and Janice Skayman of Hamiota, married Jeannine Mabon, born in 1957, daughter of Alice and Jean Mabon of Notre Dame de Lourdes, on October 10, 1981.
In 1980 we purchased the Willoughby Crandell farm and made it our home until 1989 when we moved to the family farm in the Lavinia district.
We have two children Stephanie, born in 1985, and Darcy, born in 1987. They both attend Hamiota Collegiate and are involved with the hockey, ringette and baseball clubs in Hamiota.
We enjoyed our stay in Crandall with wonderful neighbours surrounding us. It was a great community to live in.

Smith, Ed and Kari
I was born in 1953, fourth of seven children to Betty and Newton Smith. I attended school in Crandall and Hamiota and took one year of engineering at the University of Manitoba. I enjoyed many sports including: soccer, curling, long distance running and played fastball with Chumah for many years. I've always liked hockey and still play with the Hamiota Bandits.
I started farming with my father in 1972 and then purchased the Donald Martin 800 acres near Isabella in 1982. In 1989 I then purchased the Joan Foxton section near Decker and moved here. Kari and I married in December 1994. Before Kari came here, she lived near Winnipeg. She attended the University of Winnipeg where she obtained her Science Degree. One of her jobs included research at the University of Manitoba with cholesterols and diabetes. She later became a sales representative for laboratory chemicals, travelling all through Manitoba and northwestern Ontario.
We carry on a mixed farming operation. We take special pride in our "Prairie Dawn Charolais" cattle operation, which we share with my brother Rob and family. Rob and I purchased the Badger half section in 1993, to accommodate our expanding cattle herd.
Since coming to the farm Kari has acquired many kinds of exotic birds, including chickens, ducks, geese and turkeys. She also has her own little herd of Jersey, Brown Swiss and Tarentaise cattle.
In 1997 we bought a RTM house and have been happy in it. Kari does stained glass for friends and family and enjoys it very much. We enjoy farming and family gatherings and look forward to some travelling in the future.

Smith, Herb and Vi
In 1972 Herb and I sold the SE quarter of 4- 14-24 to our son. Ken and daughter-in-law Vicki, and we moved to Hamiota. After spending our entire single and then married lives on the farm, it seemed different and initially somewhat confining to live in town with neighbours and businesses so close. Thankfully however, we have been blessed with 28 years of town life to become adjusted!
We celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary on October 15, 1988. Our family gave us a come and go reception in Chumah Hall where well over 200 friends, neighbours, pupils, teachers and relatives came to wish us well. A family dinner in Brandon followed this. Then came a trip west on VIA Rail to Calgary and Edmonton. A beautiful big room on the 9th floor of Fantasy Land Hotel in the West Edmonton Mall was reserved for our stay in Edmonton.
On January 12, 2000, Herb celebrated his 85th birthday. Herb has remained active throughout his years of town life. He takes pride in maintaining our town home and yard, and our summer home and yard at the Narrows, now called Burlington Beach, at Shoal Lake. Our summers at the lake we look forward to each year and have enjoyed every summer at the lake since 1947.
Another highlight in our lives together came with the celebration of our 60th wedding anniversary on October 15, 1998. Family and friends gathered at Chumah Hall in Hamiota to share an evening of music, pictures, memorabilia, and reminiscing all about Herb's and my life together.
My love of music has rewarded me in many ways. In 1983, the last year the Vi Smith Orchestra played for the Hamiota Lions Club, they presented me with a gold lion with the inscription, "Thank you for many faithful musical years." The year I had to retire from my association with the music program in the Hamiota schools, I received a shield from the Birdtail River Teachers' Association, which read, "In appreciation for sharing your time and skills with young people of this division." I was also honoured at a come and go tea in the Chumah Hall.
In 1985 the YWCA of Brandon initiated an annual "Woman of Distinction" award night to recognize the accomplishment of women in western Manitoba. I was nominated in the Arts category by a group of local women and they asked Ken and Vicky to write a profile, which was sent to the judges. I had the distinct honour of being recipient of this award.
For several years I entertained at Birch Lodge Personal Care Home. This was truly a rewarding experience. I also played organ for Hamiota United Church on a rotating basis with a number of other organists. Hip surgery in 1991 put my activities on hold for awhile.
During the years I have written a number of songs, several of which came to me as it were "out of the blue". In the 1970's I was requested to write the musical score for the high school production of "A Christmas Carol". This experience prompted me to write a carol all my own, which I called "The First Christmas Morn." By the request of the United Church of Canada, my copyrighted version of this song was included in their White Gift package, which went to all United Churches in Canada. In 1982 I was asked to write a song especially for the Crandall School Reunion. The song, "Thank You Heavenly Father" was sung by our daughter Judy, and son. Ken, at the Crandall reunion, but was also used many times during the Centennial celebrations in Hamiota in 1984.
Glenda, our elder daughter, took a Unit Clerk position at the Brandon General Hospital in January 1983. She worked there on Surgery, 3rd Floor, until her retirement in July 1999. She left her marriage in 1988. She and her new friend and partner, Wilf Zimmer, have built a retirement cottage at Jackson Beach, Shoal Lake. Glenda currently spends the majority of her time at the lake. During the winter months, she helps Wilf with his business in Portage La Prairie, and she and Wilf spend a month of that time at their shared condominium in Florida.
Glenda's two daughters, Cathy and Kerry, share an apartment in Brandon, and both work at the Rolling Pin restaurant while pursuing their continuing education.
Judy (Reid), our younger daughter, and Ken, our son, have entered their histories separately in this updated Crandall history.
Now in the year 2000, Herb and I continue to live in our home in Hamiota. Several times through out the years I have been asked, " If I had my life to live over again, what would I change?" My answer on those occasions was and still is "I would follow the same path exactly."

Smith, Jack and Margaret (Peggy) (nee Adams)
Many changes have taken place in our family since our history was written for the Crandall Chronicles in 1971. At that time our family consisted of 2 sons and 2 daughters. We have included 2 daughters-in-law, 2 sons-in-law and 7 grandchildren. All our family started school in Crandall and graduated from Grade 12 at Hamiota Collegiate.
Allan always wanted to farm so he rented farmland and bought machinery. He worked with his dad in harvest time. Allan and Marlene Sedgwick were married in Hamiota Church in August 1974 and they lived in a mobile home on the farm until his parents retired.
Marlene graduated from the Red River Community College as a Medical Records Technician and worked for two years at the Cancer Treatment Centre in Winnipeg. Back in Hamiota she found employment with Syd Perlmutter's law office for five yeas and also in the law firm in Virden, Manitoba and Hamiota with Ross Poole. She now works at the Hamiota Credit Union. Marlene joined the Brandon Camera Club in 1980 and has won many awards for her photography. She is busy year round with her camera at weddings, family gatherings and sports events. Jeffery Kent was born in 1982 and Michael arrived in 1984. The boys are the fourth generation of Smiths living on the home farm begun in 1901. Like other parents Allan and Marlene have been busy taking the boys to sports activities. Kent has worked 2 summers for Wil-Kraft Cabinets and this winter part time at T.J.s Convenience store. He graduated in June 2000. Michael plays goal for his hockey team and is completing grade 11.
Completing a 2-year Computer Analyst course at the Red River Community College, Ron began work with Investor Syndicate. He is still at Investors Group as Project Supervisor Applications Technologist. Ron and Heather Bond were married in Shiloh Church July 1974. Heather, after attending the Red River Community College for Medical Records, worked for 11 years at the Winnipeg Health Science Centre. Kimberly Dawn was born in 1984 and Shannon McKenzie arrived in 1987. A stay at home mom. Heather has just joined the work force part time at a doctors private practice office. Kim was interested in Highland dancing and won many competitions. She takes lessons in synchronized swimming and plays water polo for the school team at the Pan Am Pool. Shannon enjoys soccer indoors and outdoors. Her dad coaches her team and sometimes they have reached the city finals. Both girls attend a French Immersion school in Charleswood, an area in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Marilyn graduated from the Red River Community College in Accounting and worked in Winnipeg for several businesses. William Hemenway and Marilyn were married in Crandall Church, June 1980. Bill is a chartered accountant in Winnipeg and Marilyn still works as a contract accountant. Their children are Megan Leigh born in 1984 and Kyle William born in 1986. Megan now plays the alto saxophone for the Jazz band at school and plays in girl's hockey with both summer and winter teams. Kyle also plays in goal for his Fort Garry hockey team and baseball in the summer. Although busy taking Megan and Kyle to their sports they still find a little time to enjoy golf and curling. They all live in Lindenwoods, an area of Winnipeg.
Sherry graduated from 2 years at Kelsey College in Saskatoon as an Animal Health Technician in June 1982 and was employed at the Hamiota Veterinary Clinic by Dr. Andy Hodge and later by Dr. Allan Preston. In 1987 she began work at the Virden Animal Hospital and she is still working there full time. Jim Wilson and Sherry were married and live on a farm in the Lenore district. They are both interested in raising Maine Anjou cattle. Jim is an auctioneer and works at the Virden Auction Mart and at farm sales etc. Jim also judges calves at 4-H shows. Wyatt Neil was born in 1997 and is spoiled by all his older cousins.
Jack and I bought our retirement home in Hamiota and we moved into it November 1983. Through the years we have taken several enjoyable trips. We flew to London, England and visited relatives there and in Scotland. We were at the Rose Bowl in California, to Hawaii, Florida and the Expo in Vancouver, British Columbia. We had an enjoyable time on a luxury liner to Alaska. I am still helping with the feeding program at Birch Lodge after 11 years and we enjoy our winter games at the Hamiota Community Centre. We are glad to have our family near enough to come visit us on long weekends and holidays so we can enjoy our grandchildren's growing up years.

Smith, Kenneth Herbert and Vicki Arlene
Ken and Vicki Smith began their married life together with their marriage in St. Mark's Anglican Church in Elkhorn, Manitoba on March 30, 1970. Ken, son of Herb and Vi Smith of Crandall, and Vicki, daughter of Linden and Irene Moore of Elkhorn, became acquainted during their attendance at the Brandon University where both graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree and a Teaching Certificate.
Since the fall of 1968, Ken and Vicki have both continued their teaching careers. Vicki is a teaching Vice-Principal in Hamiota Collegiate, and Ken is a teaching Vice-Principal at Strathclair Community School. In 1999 Vicki and Ken received their 30-year pins from the Birdtail River School Division. Teaching provides them with the opportunity for coaching girl's soccer at both the Senior High and Middle Years Levels. The annual struggle for dominance between the teams from Hamiota and Strathclair is interesting both for them and their students who constantly wonder "who is going to have to buy supper?" Interest in the leadership potential of young people has led the pair to become actively involved with the Student Councils in their respective schools. As members of the national and Provincial Associations for Student Council Advisors, they have together accompanied students to the annual provincial leadership conferences in Manitoba and to national leadership conferences in Brandon, Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario and Yorkton, Saskatchewan. These conferences create the opportunity for all involved to meet other representatives from across the country, and to develop improved leadership skills.
Ken and Vicki lived in Hamiota for the first two years of their marriage, then took over the farm on SE 4-14-24 from Ken's parents in November of 1972. They farmed this quarter of land until 1991 and since that time have rented the land to local farmers.
July 5, 1981 stands out as a special time on their farm. Following the Hazelwood side of the family, Ken and Vicki became the fourth generation of inhabitants of the George Wesley Hazelwood homestead. The preparations for that day of celebration and the celebration itself reminded all involved of the important contributions each generation has made in developing a home and community to be proud of. The original house dominating the westward slope of the ravine is an important reminder of the Hazelwood farm's past.
In 1982 Ken was pleased to assist with preparations for the Crandall School Reunion. For a few short days, the town was once again brought to life as people came back to reminisce about days gone by. Ken, along with his mother and sister Judy, had the opportunity to provide musical items as part of the special Sunday service held during the reunion.
Ken and Vicki have been active in Hamiota United Church since 1984. Vicki served a worship chair for twelve years and Ken served as Executive Council for ten years. They have also been members of the regular choir during these years. Occasionally Ken has the opportunity to play his saxophone at church, accompanied of course by his mother, Vi Smith.
Vicki enjoys curling and has been a member of the Ladies' curling club since 1978. She continued to play in the Midwest Ladies' Fastball League until 1984.
Their shared interest in history of their community has resulted in an ongoing involvement with organizations dedicated to the preservation of local history. Both held chairs in the Hamiota Centennial History Committee, which produced Hamiota Grains of the Century 1884-1984. In the interim period between that book and Hamiota Grains of the Century Volume 2 published in 1996, they were charter members of the Hamiota and District Historical Society, which was formed in 1986.
As of the year 2000, the new Millennium, Ken and Vicki continue to live on the SE quarter of 4-14-24, enjoying their country lifestyle in the Chumah district. They celebrated their 30th wedding anniversary in 2000. Their century old house has been renovated and added to, but it still retains the character of the late nineteenth century farm homes.
During the summer their cabin at Shoal Lake is their primary destination. The good lake, the magnificent sunsets, and the presence of family all make the lake the best of summer homes.

Smith, Newton and Betty
Newton and Betty Smith moved to Hamiota to reside in June 1983, leaving the farm duties to Rob and Heather in the Crandall-Chumah district.
Our family has grown substantially. Their individual histories will be found elsewhere in this book- namely: Wayne and Edith Smith, Betty- Ann and Edwin Rothnie, Donna and Brent McKinnon, Edward and Kari Smith, Barbara and Ian Anderson, Heather and Jim Bate and Rob and Heather Smith.
Since moving to Hamiota, we became very involved with the activities of our grandchildren, at the Church, school, rink, and ball park. We also took part in the senior activities at the Community Hall during the winter. I enjoy the fellowship of belonging to the Senior Choir and floor shuffle. I also did 15 years of volunteer work, helping with crafts at Birch Lodge Personal Care Home. Newton always kept a keen interest in farming, and was always willing to help when needed. We were fortunate to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary in March 1998, with a potluck supper and an evening of entertainment with family and friends.
Tragedy struck our family and home August 8, 1998 when Newton died very suddenly. Our pillar of strength was gone. It's hard to accept, but accept we must. With the help of family and friends, we have learned the true meaning of love and friendship. Newton was laid to rest in the Crandall cemetery, August 11, 1998 with a private family graveside service.
As a family, we have many happy occasions to be together, celebrating a birthday or other special events. A summer highlight is gathering around a bonfire for a wiener roast and the evening ending off with a fireworks display that is enjoyed from the oldest to the youngest. We are indeed fortunate to have our family and to share these special times.

Smith, Robert and Heather
Robert Newton, the youngest son of Newton and Betty Smith of Crandall was born in 1962. He took over the family farm in the spring of 1981. On June. 25, 1983 Rob married Heather Cochrane of Hamiota. Our children Melissa Morgan, born in 1988, Riley Robert born in 1991, Quinn Jodell, born in 1996 and Brody Aaron born in 1998 are our main focus in our life right now. Melissa and Riley love to play hockey and ball and because of that our van travels a lot miles. Quinn and Brody are their greatest fans.
Presently we have a mixed farming operation, which includes a herd of Purebred Charolais cattle shared with Rob's brother Ed, under the name "Prairie Dawn Charolais". The purebred herd began in 1978 and has seen many bulls sold all over Manitoba, Saskatchewan and one to Quebec.
Presently, our life is very full and rewarding with the farming and our growing family. There is a lot to look forward to in the years to come.

Smith Wayne and Edith
Wayne Smith, son of Newton and Betty Smith was born in Hamiota in 1949. He attended school in Crandall until the high school closed in 1965. He completed high school in Hamiota.
Wayne grew up on the farm and got to pick lots of stones and roots. He participated on baseball, hockey and soccer teams in Crandall and Hamiota. As an adult, Wayne played with a few fast ball teams such as the Chumah A's. He continues to enjoy playing slow-pitch and has competed at 3 national championships.
Wayne began working with Greater Winnipeg Gas in 1970 and continues to work with Centra Gas as a systems analyst. Wayne's three oldest children from his previous marriage are Tim (born in 1972), Scott (born in 1973) and Sean (born in 1974). Tim lives in Otterburne, Manitoba and works in Steinbach, Manitoba at Canadian Guide Rail operating the crane moving elevator rails. Scott married Marilyn Fabris, who passed away February 8, 1999. Scott lost his right leg in an industrial accident in 1993. Scott is currently attending a drafting course in Winnipeg. Scott and Sean bought a house in Transcona (an area of Winnipeg) together in 1999. Sean works in the shipping department at Palliser Furniture and is active in several sports.
Wayne is married to Edith (Last), born in 1956, formerly of Carman, Manitoba and lives in Winnipeg. Edith was a Programmer Analyst with Centra Gas when they met, but switched to the job of full time mom in 2000. Their children are Neil (born in 1995), Rachel (born in 1997), and Graham (born in 1999). Edith is involved in church activities and Wayne is involved in his slow-pitch league organization. They have some land in Carman that they are planning to move to in the near future. They have been farming part time since 1998, and currently operate a home based travel business.